"A Feast for the Senses!"

(Thursday, February 01, 2007)

Deb proposed "A Feast for the Senses" over at Create a Connection, which I can't wait to share. You might recall how much I love quirks -- quirks in people, in places, in myself, in everything! I'm a very sensual person, and so you can imagine how much I adore and delight in my senses... so, what I like to do is answer in stream-of-thought form, not reading ahead of time and answering with the first and most honest answer that pops into my head...

1. What are some of your favorite smells? What's a smell that many other people seem to like, but you don't? The pages of books (new books, old books, in-between books, any books!), coffee, grass--especially onion grass... it reminds me of my summers as a child, "man" scents--at least, mine, who has a particular smell. Fabric softener as I'm walking down the street past someone's house as they do their laundry. I've heard people say they like the scent of gasoline, and I've never liked that, at all.

2. What are some of your favorite tastes? What's a taste many other people seem to like, but you don't? Coffee (yes, I'm a fiend) with light cream, chives... the crusts of my grandmother's pies. Pepper. Salt from the ocean. Most other people I know like, or LOVE, some sort of seafood... and I don't like any of it. I never grew up eating any seafood whatsoever, so I think it's got something with just being weirded out toward it since I wasn't exposed to it.

3. What are some of your favorite textures? What's a texture that many other people seem to like, but you don't? Something strange I can't stand are very dry, sort of cheap towels. For some reason I have this memory of towels like this about biting down on one and it creaked in my teeth and made them feel funny. I know this sounds bizarre... it gives me the jitters and shudders! I can't stand it! Oh, anyway, this was supposed to be about what I like. I love the feeling of flannel sheets -- vs. people who seem to rave about silk or satin sheets. They feel cold to me. I like cosy. I love fluffy icings for pastries and cakes... fluffy and light and whipped rather than the heavy, custardy or dry icing.

4. What are some of your favorite sounds? What's a sound that many other people seem to like, but you don't? Birds singing through my slightly open window on a cool summer or spring morning, nice and early, cool breeze coming in... or the simple sound of crickets and locusts buzzing as the sun sets late on a summer evening... that thick, humid silence as a storm hovers in the air. Many people like whispers, but I don't... I prefer just a quiet, soft voice that is low, just so. Just low enough.

5. What are some of your favorite sights? What's a sight that many other people seem to like but you don't? I don't like sunset scenes. On postcards. Or beach scenes. They all seem false. Being there is just so much more beautiful. I love the sight of old, gently antiqued and worn wooden chairs.. rocking chairs.

This all makes me wish for spring!

Until next,
-xo Meg

Read or Post a Comment

I'm glad you did this one, Meg. I really enjoyed reading your answers!

Posted byBlogger Deb R @ 11:23 PM #
 

I wish it had been warm enough to be running around outside barefoot myself. It was FFrreeeezzzzzing. Okay, can i just say, I completely understand about the towels on the teeth!!! It was dry against teeth that freaks me out. Also, I hate folding. Just the feeling of dry fabric on my fingers. Yuck. I have to have a bottle of lotion right by me if I am folding any fabric item at all.

Posted byBlogger http://afancifultwist.typepad.com @ 12:12 AM #
 

These were wonderful answers, Meg.
I love the smell of onion grass, too! I guess because as kids, we always used to roll around in the grass, but now we don't because we are adults... boo hiss...

Posted byBlogger Regina @ 12:26 AM #
 

i want to do this one now! we have so much in common - the texture thing, (only for me, i hated the feel of woollen mitts in my mouth) i love rocking chairs....
:)

Posted byBlogger bee @ 9:55 PM #
 

I really enjoyed this list and your reasons for things!!! I made me laugh about the towels because I know just that feeling!!

Sigh. I want spring. right now.

Posted byBlogger meghan @ 5:33 AM #
 
<< Home

© Megan K. 2006-2007




About

Meg... wife, writer, reader, dreamer, artist.


Reading


Enjoying

Penelope Illustration
Wish Jar Journal
Lori Joy Smith
Loobylu
Dooce
Ruby
Alex the Girl
More to Me
Drowning in Ink
Waiting on the Front Porch
La Vie En Rose
Inside a Black Apple
A Fanciful Twist
I Still See a Spark in You
37 Days
Colors on My Mind
Diary of a Self Portrait