Quirky Poetry Thursday.

(Thursday, January 18, 2007)

For this Poetry Thursday, I decided to skip the prompt, although it seems like a great deal of fun, and share something I wrote very recently. It's a series of haiku that make one poem, inspired by a quirky little daydream I was having. I often find myself thinking up characters or double selves of me, because there are so many things I'd love to be and do. A potter, a seamstress, a bookbinder -- too many things I'd love to be in one lifetime; and so, I often create characters in my head, quirks and all, and wait for the time when they will cease to be just imaginary persons in my mind, and begin to jump with life on paper. One day, I will write these people.

Until then, here is a little tale of a botanist. I imagine her tinkering about in a greenhouse, side-by-side with her well-experienced mentor, Ophilia, in this particular science, wrinkling her nose as she studies plant parts and impressing her elder with her entymological knowledge. Oh, and she wears a yellow rain jacket.

Snippets of a Botanist

Amidst all her pots,
Ophilia's in her greenhouse,
hands stained black as soil.

Jars of this and that
On an old rickety shelf,
Emit bizarre smells.

Blue blooms unfurling
As a vine creeps up the wall,
Plucked off one by one.

A tome lays open,
"Taxonomy of Fungi,"
Bookmarked with a leaf.

A beetle scampers
Out of a watering can:
Our next specimen.



Read more Poetry Thursday here.

Until next,
-xo Meg

Read or Post a Comment

I loved this... it felt so real to me. I often do the same thing, creating these other selves that can do everything I dream about. You have a wonderful little blog- thanks for these lovely words!

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 9:21 PM #
 

Mmmm... Very rich visuals: I feel as if I'm digging in hothouse soil, here, and you haven't actually mentioned it (her hands are merely "stained black as soil", wonderful line). Lovely, thank you.

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 2:01 PM #
 

wow, those are neat. i love that you imagine yourself as other characters and i can see this poem with my mind as well as my eyes. thanks

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 4:16 AM #
 

Love that! You as other characters, wait who am I right now. I totally get that! Also, You could be a potter in one day with me at your side...Major quick tutorial...Also, Dino, was a bookbinder in Paris...Yes, in the 60's...Can you imagine???With monks no less....

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 12:15 PM #
 
<< Home

© Megan K. 2006-2007




About

Meg... wife, writer, reader, dreamer, artist.


Reading


Enjoying

Penelope Illustration
Wish Jar Journal
Lori Joy Smith
Loobylu
Dooce
Ruby
Alex the Girl
More to Me
Drowning in Ink
Waiting on the Front Porch
La Vie En Rose
Inside a Black Apple
A Fanciful Twist
I Still See a Spark in You
37 Days
Colors on My Mind
Diary of a Self Portrait