A Sacred Space.

(Monday, January 15, 2007)

Ever since I graduated and moved home from boarding school in 2004, I've found it incredibly hard to locate a 'space of my own.' I've gone through 3 moves in the past two years, and one final (and more permanent) move is coming in 4 months when I marry and move into an apartment with my husband-to-be.

So, as one might imagine, after two moves, packings and unpackings, I got sick of all the moving and, when I moved a few months ago this last time, I left most of the boxes unpacked. The move is temporary, and I have so much else on my plate -- classes, wedding plans, amongst other things, that I pushed all the boxes full of non-necessities aside. They are full of some shoes, books, papers, tidbits, candles, half-filled journals, pieces of me. I am living out of boxes, and I can't seem to locate a place of my own.

I am reluctant to create a 'space' here in this place, as it will be destroyed in less than 4 months. But I long for one. I read of artists and writers, creative people who have this special, sacred place, a studio of sorts. I think often of what mine might look like, or where it might be. I came to realize that our tiny, one-bedroom apartment will have no separate room for a sacred space for myself. So, how do I create a space where there is so little space?

Perhaps a little corner. A table strewn with candles and statuettes, little this-and-that bowls filled with plants, clippings, whatever I find that expresses me. Perhaps by a window, which sits open, curtains shifting in the breeze, and a series of shelves nearby where my books and plants and pottery sit.

I won't have a studio or a large place for creation. We will be like two peas snug in our little apartment as it is -- no room for too much luxury. But perhaps I can find sacred space in the little things, in the little places.

What are your sacred spaces? I'm so interested to hear.

Until next,
-xo Meg

Read or Post a Comment

i have a writing room of my very own that i am trying to fix up. the good thing about living in the country is that it is very cheap to rent a bigger place with more rooms (relatively speaking, of course). any space can become sacred if it has pieces of you...

when i was little, i spent much more time outside...you've inspired me to find another sacred place outdoors again...

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 12:31 AM #
 

Oooo, lets see. I have created so many sacred places for myself. I even created a little path outside my studio that goes to a sanctuary where I give little funerals to dead hummingbirds etc. I believe that your own sacred and maybe even secret place is crucial to mental health, hehe, so, I have made everyspace that I own into my own dream fantasy world. But, when I lived at home with family etc. I was an anxious creature. I needed to get away. You will be free soon, and like me, I guarantee, when you get you own sacred space in your home, you will not want anyone to bother you "ever" when you are in it...ps: In your little space to come, you could put up a little wood room divider, those vintage kinds or new.. you can get them at Cost Plus world market...Put a tiny chair in there and some thing you love, like a little hidden office space, but you can turn it into your own sanctuary...Or, if you just want a place to meditate, you could put a little kneeling altar or and little rug and table to sit and veg.? Let's talk. I have lots of ideas.

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 11:09 AM #
 

right now i'm lucky enough to live on my own so in effect all of this space is sacred to me, and my journey.

but i have set up a teeny tiny altar in my kitchen on the bottom part of a spice rack - a peacock feather, rose quartz, a "worry box", they all live there...

i'd love to know what your sacred space looks like.

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 3:22 PM #
 
<< Home

© Megan K. 2006-2007




About

Meg... wife, writer, reader, dreamer, artist.


Reading


Enjoying

Penelope Illustration
Wish Jar Journal
Lori Joy Smith
Loobylu
Dooce
Ruby
Alex the Girl
More to Me
Drowning in Ink
Waiting on the Front Porch
La Vie En Rose
Inside a Black Apple
A Fanciful Twist
I Still See a Spark in You
37 Days
Colors on My Mind
Diary of a Self Portrait