Aspirations.

(Monday, January 22, 2007)

I have been pondering, for some time, getting a master's in Library Science once I complete my undergrad degrees. This pairs with the poem I wrote for my last post -- I have TOO many things I want to learn and be! As it is, I'm a double major in theology and English and a minor in art. And yet, I do it for the sake of learning, writing, and creating. Believe me when I say I have no insanely ambitious career goals (despite publishing some poems or perhaps a novel). My long-term goal is to be a stay-at-home mom, to homeschool my children and take care of my husband and family. It gives me the 'happies' just thinking about it!

In this day and age, is that considered conventional, or unconventional? It's hard to say. It seems the conventional standards today have evolved into women being career-bound and independent from the home, or simultaneously juggling high-powered career and home life. Or that's what the media would have us believe, anyway -- what's expected of women. But this is only true inside of a certain class, I'm sure. And yet the word "convention" does make me think of the homemaking mother. I admire both sorts of women immensely.

More and more, I have been looking into this pursuit of my master's degree. I am a little wary of distance education because I like being more hands-on, but most of the ways to receive this degree are through distance learning. Which means I could travel with my husband for his job, while in school. But mostly, the prospect of working in a library thrills me. I've always adored libraries and books, and have been known since childhood to hole up in some aisle, find a spot cross-legged on the floor, and just page through, breathing in the scents of paper and print.

There is a little work study position open at school, in the library, which I'm praying I'll get. Perhaps I'll just be sitting at the desk, checking people out. Perhaps I'll be repairing the spines of books, or reshelving them. No matter. I'd adore it. Here's to hoping!

Until next,
-xo Meg

Read or Post a Comment

i know this probably doesn't interest you at all, but my partner, l., was going to get his degree in library science because that would mean he could join csis - the canadian version of the fbi. he's into 24 and that type of thing....far from holing up with books, huh.

why is it that i know we would get along famously if we were to meet in person?

i think, sweetie, if you want to be a sahm/w, then that's the most 'enlightened', 'feminist' choice for you. life is about being WHO you are, and trying to be happy...if you want to do that - more power to you.

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 11:05 AM #
 

I think it's wonderful that you have so many interests- that is what keeps us healthy and growing! I remember my love for the little local library where I grew up- it was a big old mansion in a former lifetime and each room was converted to fabulous book depositories where I would just sit for hours!
I do hope you get your position and I feel certain that with your drive, you will make anything you want in your life come true!
I enjoy visiting you!

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 3:38 PM #
 

I am the same! When I was in university I could often be found in the library doing... 'research' even though I wasn't writing a paper. I am a total and utter book geek. I think that your master's is a great idea no matter what you intend to do with it - books for books sake! :)

Posted byBlogger meghan @ 4:14 PM #
 

Having many loves and desires and intersts it what makes you yourself an interesting and fulfilled person. Your constant interest in many things is fantastic!!!

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 8:38 PM #
 

I was just thinking today about getting a masters in art history. I already have a masters in education and think I could care less if I never teach again. LOL.

I love being a SAHM it is terrific.
It is also providing some quality thinking time to tap into my creative side.

Love opens doors.

Posted byAnonymous Anonymous @ 8:14 PM #
 
<< Home

© Megan K. 2006-2007




About

Meg... wife, writer, reader, dreamer, artist.


Reading


Enjoying

Penelope Illustration
Wish Jar Journal
Lori Joy Smith
Loobylu
Dooce
Ruby
Alex the Girl
More to Me
Drowning in Ink
Waiting on the Front Porch
La Vie En Rose
Inside a Black Apple
A Fanciful Twist
I Still See a Spark in You
37 Days
Colors on My Mind
Diary of a Self Portrait