Creative Bathing!

(Monday, February 05, 2007)

Over at Create a Connection, Tammy Vitale wrote about 'Creative Bathing.' I sat and read, smiling hugely and squirming happily in my chair, because I am a religious, ritual bath-taker--sometimes even twice a day (which is great for me mentally, but probably not as great for my skin). It is very difficult for me to convince myself to take a shower, and do so only when I'm in a hurry--compared with a bath, I just can't resist.

Normally, my baths do not involve candles and music, but go by a certain routine of my own. I begin to fill the tub with very hot water, and when it's just filled enough to cover the bottom, I add my favorite bubbles... lavender & chamomile. I slip in when it's about a third of the way full, bringing my book. I like to get in while the water's still running so I can let the faucet pour water over my feet...I get a little bit of a foot massage that way! I read away until I feel relaxed enough or until the water starts to lose heat, and then I toss aside the book and finish my bath with my favorite wash and a loofah. Usually, if this is my nighttime bath (which I always, always take every night before bed), I get out, put on this delicious lotion, especially on my feet, put on socks and pajamas, and hop into bed.

While a ritual routine is great, this post made me think about doing something a little different for myself for bathtime. The scents and routine I use are comforting to me, but after a while I don't appreciate them as much because I don't try anything new in place of it. I've decided to share two recipes I'm going to try out within the next month or so:

* * * *
Green Tea Bath (green tea has slimming, anticellulite and anticholesterol properties. Also contains polyphenols, which strengthen the immune system and prevents free radicals and cancer cells from multiplying. Tea leaves also tighten pores and soothe insect bites)
5 tbsp loose green tea leaves
1 cup fresh or dried jasmine flowers
4 cups water

Bring water to a rapid boil. Add green tea leaves. Steep for 10-15 minutes. Add jasmine flowers. Let cool down for 5 minutes. Strain and add to bathwater.
* * * *

Jasmine is my favorite scent; and I, in fact, do often drink jasmine green tea, one of my favorites as well. This next one looks expensive, but wonderful:


****
Seashore Bath (revives circulation, conditions parched skin)
3/4 cup sea salt
1/2 cup Epsom salts
1/3 cup bicarbonate of baking soda
2 drops essential oil of cedar
3 drops essential oil of clary sage
5 drops essential oil of orange
1 drop essential oil of neroli (orange flowers)
5 drops essential oil of bee balm

Mix well. Add to warm bath.
****

On Saturday, I gave myself a hot mustard foot bath. I suddenly had come down with a cold, and my sinuses were so congested, along with my head in general. I take a little plastic tub and fill it with as hot of water as I can stand, and stir in a heaping tablespoon of ground yellow mustard. Then I sit and soak my feet, keeping them in and sending the man to bring back more hot water to refresh it, keeping it steaming for 30 minutes. This is very good through the lungs and the liver, and really loosened all the congestion up for me.

There are so many benefits in different sorts of baths, and I'm a huge fan of the healing properties of baths and other sorts of pampering -- massage, for instance. I'm becoming increasingly interested in the subject, actually, and was just this weekend researching a book to purchase on massage. I've always given massages, but never with any particular technique, and now I'm looking to do so. My fiance has a lot of pains in his neck, and I think a regular massage once a week, if I knew what I were doing a bit better, would help him out immensely. I perused some reviews, and it seems this one, The Massage Book, is the best, followed possibly by The Book Of Massage: The Complete Stepbystep Guide To Eastern And Western Technique -- anyone else have texts to recommend? I'd love one that includes some information on aromatherapy and massaging with oils, as well (or a website would do for that).

Until next,
-xo Meg

Read or Post a Comment

I loved this post, Meg. It's so good to hear about someone actually taking care of themselves! I haven't taken a bath in forever- but I think I will have to start now.
It's funny you mention massage because I am a massage therapist and have been for about 14 years now. It's probably one of the best things I have ever done for myself and that I do for other people. I am taking some courses on Thai massage now to combine with my love of yoga.
There is a great book called The Complete Illustrated Guide to Aromatherapy by Julia Lawless and it does have a very good section on aromatherapy massage as well as medicinal uses and remedies using aromatherapy. It's an older book but here is the link to it on Amazon-

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Aromatherapy-Well-being/dp/0760717354/sr=8-3/qid=1170694775/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-6199043-0175803?ie=UTF8&s=books

It's great you are so interested in your health and well-being at such an early age- if I can help you with anything else, feel free to e-mail me!

Posted byBlogger Regina @ 12:03 PM #
 

These baths sound so divine yet a bit daunting to get some of the ingredients.

Where do you get them and/or when will your shop be open?

XOXO

Posted byBlogger Colorsonmymind @ 1:10 PM #
 

Well, I was going to do some work tonight, but it's going to have to wait until I take a long, steaming, relaxing, scented Bath!

This was a wonderful post, full of ideas for making a bath a truly rejuvenating experience :)

Posted byBlogger Becca @ 7:39 PM #
 

Now I want a bath. Goodness. This reminds me, there was someone, I can't remember who, she lives in Asia somewhere? She blogged about loving sweet oranges, or some very sweet orange type fruit, tangerines/ I don't know, but she eats them like by the bag a day. Soooo, she talked about throwing them into her bath and then devouring the most indulgent warm-hot orange once in the bath?? Isn't that lovely??? Try it out and let us knowl.. hee-hee

Posted byBlogger http://afancifultwist.typepad.com @ 10:03 PM #
 

beautiful post. i love making mustard plasters for when i'm sick.

as for your question about wordpress, i'm going to get a friend to talk to you - or you can check out her blog. i know next to nothing about technology. it's deb r - her blog is debrichardson.com/blog

seriously - she helped me with a lot and she's super friendly.

Posted byBlogger bee @ 1:35 PM #
 

Meg. Get Out Of The Bath!!! You are all pruny!!!

 
<< Home

© Megan K. 2006-2007




About

Meg... wife, writer, reader, dreamer, artist.


Reading


Enjoying

Penelope Illustration
Wish Jar Journal
Lori Joy Smith
Loobylu
Dooce
Ruby
Alex the Girl
More to Me
Drowning in Ink
Waiting on the Front Porch
La Vie En Rose
Inside a Black Apple
A Fanciful Twist
I Still See a Spark in You
37 Days
Colors on My Mind
Diary of a Self Portrait