Finding everything in nothing.

(Tuesday, September 05, 2006)

In art class, we have been working on an exercise that consists of studying a plant and drawing its negative. It seems simple enough at first, but the challenge is not to draw the plant, but to draw the places you see in between. Keeping focus on the unconventional is tough!

I began as discouraged or somewhat skeptical, seeing nothing but a smattering of black shapes about the paper, but soon, an image developed around those black nothings, and it looked exquisitely and perfectly like the plant before me.

There was wisdom to be found in this tedious exercise. How often in my life do I get caught up thinking, or worrying, about the "big picture," all the while ignoring the charming little corners, spaces, niches in between? And this art therapy could not have come at a better moment--I've been struggling with the "big picture" for a few days, now, trying to push my perspective back into day-at-a-time mode.

It's so important to draw in the little tidbits of life, for this is the stuff of life. I remind myself to take time to enjoy the commonalities of every day:

Over the weekend, rainy and chilly, I roasted a small chicken. After we'd eaten and the pickings were still good, I thought it a perfect day for chicken soup, and tossed the bird in a pot with some veggies and the drippings, then picked the bones clean and threw the meat in the soup. But I didn't hurry. There was nowhere else to go; nothing else to do... my love was taking an afternoon nap, and I enjoyed chopping, dicing, picking, and simmering.

I saw a ladybug flitting along the sidewalk, and stopped to look and pick her up, admire her. I found joy in something little, and slowed down, as a child would.

I came across the perfect quote to sum up my thoughts....

"Children find everything in nothing; men find nothing in everything."
Giacomo Leopardi, Zibaldone Scelto

Let us try to find everything in nothing, just as children would.

Until next,
-xo Meg

Read or Post a Comment

Hi there! I couldn't resist following another meg back to her home. I see that this is your first post and I THINK I am your first comment!!! Well YAY, YOU for starting to blog. I really enjoyed your post - your take on things big and small - and a lovely quote! (Pretty site too) - All good things!!! Looking forward to reading more -

Posted byBlogger meghan @ 1:13 PM #
 
<< Home

© Megan K. 2006-2007




About

Meg... wife, writer, reader, dreamer, artist.


Reading


Enjoying

Penelope Illustration
Wish Jar Journal
Lori Joy Smith
Loobylu
Dooce
Ruby
Alex the Girl
More to Me
Drowning in Ink
Waiting on the Front Porch
La Vie En Rose
Inside a Black Apple
A Fanciful Twist
I Still See a Spark in You
37 Days
Colors on My Mind
Diary of a Self Portrait